No matter the time of year, we could all use a little immune boost. This Paleo Blueberry Lemon bread gives you just that! It’s loaded with antioxidants, vitamin C, and has antimicrobial properties. Its also got protein-rich almond flour and nutrient-dense eggs.
Blueberries are my favorite summer berries; the more wild, the better. I may be a little biased, though, growing up I had a 30 acre field of wild Maine blueberries quite literally in my backyard. Every August my fingers would be dyed a slight magenta hue and more than likely I’d have a blueberry seed stuck between my two front teeth. These plump little berries pack a mighty potent punch! Not only are the low in calories – fewer than 100 in a cup, they’re also high in fiber, vitamin C and they also rank highest of any fruit for antioxidants. They also contain the flavonoid anthocyanin, which is what give blueberries their distinct vibrant color.
There’s a reason we are told to drink warm lemon when we’re sick. For centuries lemon has been used for it’s medicinal power – detoxifying the body and treating a plethora of health problems. It helps strengthen the immune system, purifies the blood, improves digestion and helps your liver release harmful toxins. It also contains nourishing vitamins, minerals, flavonoids and antioxidants.
Coconut oil has grown in popularity in the last decade. It was once demonized for its saturated fat content, but it’s on the upswing. It’s one of the best oils to cook with since it doesn’t become rancid at high heat or break down like many other common household oils. It is a prime source for medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs). If you’re familiar with MCT oil, you’ll know why MCFAs are so special. Unlike other fats, they are sent directly to the liver to be used as energy. It’s like high octane fuel for your brain and metabolism. Most of these MCFAs are in the form of Lauric Acid, which has antimicrobial, antibacterial and antifungal properties.
This moist and delicious loaf is perfect any time of the day, whether you want it in the morning with your coffee or as a tangy sweet treat, and take our advice – don’t forget the glaze!
For the Bread:
- 1 and ½ cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour, sifted
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder OR tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil, grassfed butter, or ghee, melted
- ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- zest from 2 lemons
- 1 and ½ cups fresh blueberries
For the Glaze:
- ⅓ cup coconut butter, softened
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- hot water
- Preheat oven to 350′ F. Grease a loaf pan (9×5) and cut a piece of parchment paper to line the bottom of pan.
- Combine almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca/arrowroot, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, coconut oil, honey/maple syrup, lemon juice, and lemon zest until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until well incorporated.
- Spread one third of the batter onto bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle ⅓ of the blueberries on top. Spread another third of the batter and another third of the blueberries. Repeat one more time with the remaining batter and berries.
- Bake 32-37 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cover with foil if top begins to brown too much. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While loaf cools, prepare the glaze by whisking together all of the glaze ingredients. Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time until you have a glossy, liquid-smooth consistency. Once loaf has cooled, pour glaze over top of loaf, letting it drips down the sides.
We found this great recipe from Savory Lotus. You can also find many others that Katja has created as well!